About Me

My photo
Midway, NC, United States
I retired from Bali Bras, Sara Lee Intimates. Married in Oct 1976. I love meeting new people so hope to hear from you. Drop me a line. I've been doing crafts of all kinds since I was a kid. I loved making things and especially things that are recycled. I had never stamped until 2001 when I went to a stamp class while on vacation. We went to a local store to buy the stamps we had used. OUCH. When we got home I saw a Stampin Up catalog and realized how much money I could save with their stamps and best part as they are sets that go together which makes for easy card making. After doing some thinking I decided I should sign up as a demo and see what happens. I didn't know the first thing about stamping and still learning. Retired from Sara Lee Intimates in Feb 2001. I was in sales after many years, since age 18, as an office person, secretary, office assistant, etc. I am out of Stamping Up since Spring 2017 but still have lots of supplies!!!! These days I'm back to quilting and having a great time.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Store and seminar "Totes refashioned"

Lately I've been obsessed with refashioning all those totes that I've collected over time from various seminars, grocery totes that advertise for a store that is not paying me to advertise for them.    Then I was offered some fabric samples from the furniture store.  Oh my..... stuff to add to my stuff.  Well you can imagine that I took them up on their offer. 

I quickly came home and divided them up into batches, keep, share.  Don asked which was the keep stack, being funny I guess.  Of course it was the bigger stack.  Ok, so maybe I kept too many.  Not knowing what in the world I would do with them, it was just too good to pass up.

My first thought was to cover the grocery totes.  Of course I've since used some of my fabrics from my temporarily halted growing stash. 


Well the black one was a gift from Lowes Foods for wine.  Turns out we don't drink wine so I just cut out the inside dividers. 

Of course none of the fabric from my new stash worked so I found some old scraps that were just perfect and I made use of the raw edges.  There is now a pocket on each end and with cardboard in the bottom, I'm set to go.  Small bag to carry my journal and zentangles if I have to go sit at doctors office, etc. 



This was one of my first bags to alter.  I discovered that sewing the fabric on was better than heat and bond.  Ask me how I know..... because these bags will melt.... on your iron. 

This green tote, of course I love the green, carries my sewing supplies back and forth to my sewing bee weekly.   Just a great size and sturdy.






Now this is a great size bag for shopping.  I once again love the green.  This was from a different seminar.  What I like about this one is that if folds up nicely and if shopping I can put my purse down inside and just add to the green bag.    I have another one just like this one that matches the one above with green polka dots on white and another cute flower.    Remember.... DON'T use head and bond, you must sew onto these bags that are not really fabric. 

  Keep in mind that just when I think I'm done, along comes another tote that was hidden away.  Don thinks they are having babies just begging to be altered.   

So look around at all those totes you've aquired, pull out the scraps and do some altering.  Have fun.

  Hey, a tote could now be a gift when taking something to a neighbor or groceries to mama. 

Come back from time to time and perhaps I'll just add some of the other totes to this post.

No comments:

My Blog

May, 2009 when I started the blog and it's still a learning experience even in 2017.

If you are ever looking for a retired stamp set, ask me, I might have it and let it go.

As a follower you'll get emails when I post things which I tend to do in batches, once or twice a month once I get back on schedule.

Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate all comments.